Wednesday 30 October 2013

Sweet Excuses : Apple Crisp


Hello everyone! I’m sure all of you are busy preparing for a fun and happy Diwali. I always stayed in an apartment with loads and loads of friends. While growing up, Diwali was one of our favorites, crackers, rangolis, dandiya and of course the best part, delicious treats. There was a whole variety to choose from, food ranging from chaats, samosas to piping hot baturas and chole. Yummm….oh how I miss those days. This year we have decided to take our first road trip with baby M to Mysore. Can’t wait. I’m sure M will love it, she loves gallivanting anyway.

Do share all the delicious dishes you cooked up specially for Diwali.


You know, I always seem to have a few apples lying around in my pantry and these days I have them in abundance because my little girl loves her fruits. And, because of their omnipresence, I end up thinking up ways of using them. Anyway, of course, I had apples on hand. So, this time I decided to make something simple with clean flavors and little effort. The assembly was simple and truthfully low effort. As the apples cook down in the oven, the whole house (ok, atleast your kitchen if you live in a house rather than an apartment) smells deliciously warm and inviting.

This delectable sweet addition is something that will keep you going during the day, be it for an after-run energy boost or a pick-me-up with coffee or just a little sweet after lunch... Apple Crisp is packed with the goodness of apples and oats.


I think it's getting to be time to dust the baking pans and trays and get into the full swing of baking, comfort food and all that jazz. Diwali is next week! Festival time is always a time to indulge in good food and most times the food is too rich and fatty. So why not cook up something sweet and healthy this time. There is nothing like good hearty, homemade meals... Let's start sweet for the season, shall we?! :) Here is an Apple Crisp spiced lightly with nutmeg and cinnamon for warmth and with a good measure of oats to keep the goodness going. This is one of those quick sweet recipes which is high on taste and can be cooked in a jiffy. This recipe was sent to me by my sister and the minute I caught hold of the recipe, I knew what my next blog post was going to be! :)


Ingredients

8 apples or 8 peaches, peeled
1 1/2 cups brown sugar
1 cup flour
1 cup oats
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon nutmeg
1/2 cup cold butter


Method

Preheat oven to 375°F. Lightly grease a 13x9 glass pan. Cut fruit into slices (removing pit or seeds) and layer in bottom of pan. Mix dry ingredients in a medium sized bowl and then cut in butter with a pastry cutter (cut until crumbly). Sprinkle mixture over fruit. Bake for 30-35 minutes. Top should be browned. Serve with ice cream or whipped cream or just as it is.

Simple Baked goodness coming your way. Enjoy my special but unconventional sweet for Diwali this year. Happy Diwali guys.


Recipe Courtesy: Sharon, Amazing sister, Lovely wife and an Excellent mommy to two beautiful kids. Hugs Shan. Love you.

1 comment:

  1. Dear eRecipe, please let me know how to go about it. Would love to have that service.


    Thanks, Donna.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...