Thursday 5 January 2012

Crunchy Corn and Raisin Delight


Winter has been pretty cold this time in Bangalore and though I like the cold, I'm really feeling a little blue being wrapped up with multiple layers of clothing all the time! So, in an effort to evoke some summer time cheeriness, I decided to go with a light, refreshing and fruity salad for dinner last night.

So many times in our blogs, we try to reach for the stars in flavours, in creativity.. showcase our talent by doing something different from the many, many blogs out there... that it really does feel like a competition sometimes. One that can consume your time without remorse and turn into an obsession bordering an addiction. But today, I just kept all those ideas aside, and decided to go for a simple salad/raita which is a staple in my home.


Crunchy Corn and Raisin Delight - simple yet delicious enough to forget about the cold winds billowing outside. You can of course be creative and do some toying with flavours to suit your palate. I have used corn in my version of this salad, but some finely chopped apples, fresh juicy grapes or any other fruit will do the job and keep the flavours balanced! The natural sweetness of the corn, raisin and carrot clubbed with the pungent and bitter yet sweet onion gives this salad a pleasing flavour.

I got this recipe from my sister, Sharon's father-in-law who always prepares this raita when they invite us so lovingly for a meal at their home. Mary aunty and Georgechayan (that's what I call them) are very dear to me and I dedicate this post to them. Thanks Georgechayan and Mary aunty for always being so wonderful. And this comes from my heart, love you both very much. :)

Though this recipe makes use of simple ingredients, the outcome is oodles and oodles of flavour! We have this raita very often and I always wanted to post this on the blog but it just didn't work out. I love this salad because it's very simple to make - refreshing and tasty!


Anyway, it did put a smile on my face and I almost believed summer is here (which was the idea!) So I would say, the salad was a success! Do try it and see how it pleases you too. Enjoy!

Ingredients

Thick Yoghurt (or Greek Yoghurt) - 1 cup
Big Onion (finely chopped) - 1/2 an onion
Carrot (grated) - 1
Corn (or any other fruit) - 4 to 5 tbsp (add more if you like the crunch)
Golden Raisins - 4 to 5 tbsp (add more if you like the sweetness)
Salt - to taste

Method

Cook the corn and leave to cool. (thaw, if using frozen corn) Clean raisins and soak for 10 minutes in water. Drain and keep aside.

Beat the yoghurt lightly till smooth. (be careful not to beat it briskly, make sure you keep the texture and consistency of the yoghurt intact) Add the salt and mix well. Now add the chopped onions, grated carrots, cooked corn, and raisin and combine well.


Serve chilled with Rotis/Pulav.

Notes: If you are using apple instead of corn, make sure you add it just before serving to avoid discolouration of apple thus spoiling the overall appearance of the salad.

Source: Georgechayan

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...