Wednesday 12 October 2011

Yard long Bean Stir Fried with Crushed Red Chilli


I love Yard long beans (Achinga payar) just like any other Keralite and I'm sure you must have come across the recipe I posted earlier with this yummy veggie. If not, you can find it here in Achinga Payar Mezhukuperatti/Yard Long Beans Stir Fry. I did promise you all that I would show you different ways of saute'eing this vegetable. And so here it is.

Today was 'all veggie lunch day' and I was thinking of what to make and like a flash of lightning, this idea struck, "Why not make Yard Long Beans Stir Fry".


I love my mama's beans stir fried with crushed red chillies and I learned from her how to make it without any lumps. I hope you will have the same experience and be happy with this authentic mama's recipe. Enjoy!

Ingredients

Yard long Beans (Achinga Payar) - 1 bunch (about 30)
Turmeric powder - 1/4 tsp
Salt - to taste
Crushed Red Chilli/Red chilli flakes - 2 tbsp (adjust as per spice tolerance)
Shallots/Small/Pearl onions (crushed) - 20 to 22
Garlic (crushed) - 8 to 9 cloves
Curry leaves
Coconut oil


Method

Snap the beans into small strips and cook with turmeric powder, salt and sprinkles of water. (2 to 3 sprinkles) Cook till done and water evaporates completely.

Heat oil in a wok and add crushed garlic and shallots/small/pearl onions into it. Saut’e till onions turn golden brown. Once the onions have browned, add the cooked beans along with curry leaves and toss till everything is combined well. Now add the crushed red chilli/red chilli flakes and saut’e well. (Saut’e on both high and low flames alternately) Once done, switch off the flame.

Serve with Rice.

Notes: You can also use olive oil or any other refined oil for this dish (I used olive oil) for healthy cooking. But coconut oil enhances the flavour.

Source: My Mama

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...