Sunday 18 September 2011

Sweet Tomato Chutney


Hi everyone, I'm back :) Yup, its been almost a month since we met. I went to Kerala, my hometown for sometime and thoroughly enjoyed my stay there. I did get back a week ago but was busy settling down. However this gap wasn't planned, I was hoping to catch up with you in between, but it didn't work out. Anyways, now I'm back home and I was just waiting to sit in front of the computer and say hello to all of you.

I'm sure for a lot of you hailing from Kerala, you are still recovering from the joyous mood of Onam. A lot of things come to my mind when I think of Onam, the colourful Pookalams, the very entertaining Pulikali, of course a very dignified and benevolent Maveli (I particularly enjoyed the Maveli bit because my Dad used to dress up as Maveli every year for Onam celebrations at the apartment complex we stay in) and of course many other fun things, but for me my favourite part was the Onasadya. I just crave for a yummy spread of the traditional dishes laid out on the banana leaf during Onam. This time I was in Bangalore for Onam and was really really upset I couldn't eat a good sadya. But God was so good to me :) our neighbour who happens to be a malayalee too sent across some sumptuous "onam vibhavangal" and I thoroughly enjoyed it. We devoured and demolished it really quick.

Anyways, coming back to the recipe, this is one of those dishes which will take you right into Gujarat. The dish is extremely easy to prepare, takes just a few minutes and tastes awesome. This of course may not be an authentic recipe but it tastes really good made like this too. We are still on our very strict diet which is working quite well these days, Reju is very determined to lose weight and I'm inspired. This sweet chutney is a yummy treat that goes extremely well with rotis/chapathis and a simple sabji. The sourness of tomato soothed over by sweet jaggery/gud and with a hint of spice from the green chillies makes this dish delicious.

Give it a shot and let me know what you think. Enjoy!

Ingredients

Tomato - 1 (big)
Onion - 1 (medium)
Ginger - 1/2 inch piece
Green chilli - 1
Mustard seeds - 1/4 tsp
Salt - to taste
Jaggery/Gud (powdered) - 1 to 1 1/4 tbsp
Oil

Method

Heat oil in a wok and splutter mustard seeds. Add ginger, green chilli, and onions and saut'e till onions turn golden brown. Add finely chopped tomatoes along with salt and saut'e till tomatoes become soft and oil surfaces here and there. Switch off flame and add powdered jaggery into it and combine well.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...