Monday 19 September 2011

Cabbage Mezhukuperatti


Hope everything is going great with you. My refrigerator is stuffed with so many things. Oh no, no not stuffed with food, stuffed with a little food and a lot of veggies. I'm sure you are surprised but well for me this is an everyday issue. We only have space in the kitchen for a small refrigerator and so when the veggie tray gets packed I am forced to stack my veggies along with food in the food compartments :( And so I ultimately end up with a very cramped and constipated refrigerator!!! :)

I think cabbage is one vegetable where I use the most amount of onions compared to any other vegetable, be it 'thoran' or 'mezhukuperatti'. I wish I could explain why that happens except that I like it's taste best this way. I was quite happy after making this dish. It's not everyday that I make Cabbage Mezhukuperatti. (usually I make Cabbage Thoran) This recipe was given to me by my mom long time ago but somehow I never tried making it. When it comes to cabbage mezhukuperatti, the best way I like to have it is with rice, sambar/moru kachiyathu, red fish curry and cabbage mezhukuperatti.

For my friends who are reading this recipe and not into our way of eating, I assure you this dish is versatile. It can be eaten as a sabji for chapathis/rotis along with a simple dal.

With the success of this dish, this is definitely going to be a regular on our daily menu. Hope you enjoy it too. Have fun!

Ingredients

Cabbage - 1/2 of a medium cabbage
Big Onion - 1 to 1 1/2 (big)
Green chillies - 2 to 3 (adjust as per spice tolerance)
Garlic - 3 to 4 cloves
Salt - to taste
Pepper - 3/4 tsp
Ajinomoto - a pinch (optional)
Oil

Method

Heat oil in a wok and saut'e garlic, green chillies and onions till onions turn golden brown. When the onions have browned well add cabbage along with pepper and salt. Mix well. Add a splash of water into this mixture and cover and cook for about 2 minutes on a high flame and another 2 minutes on low flame. Finally, add a pinch of ajinomoto and combine well till all the moisture disappears.

Source: My Mom

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...