Friday 29 July 2011

Mulaku Bajji (Chilli Bajji)


Yesterday was a nice rainy day and Bangalore weather was at it's best. And I thought the best way to celebrate this beautiful day was with piping hot chilli bajjis and a cup of warm tea.

I normally am not much of a snack person, so I don't have too many quick snack recipes in my goody bag. But my husband who is a complete foodie, had asked me whether I could make him some munchies in the evening when he got back from work. At that time, I said "No Reju, don't you remember we are on a diet"! And poor thing, I actually sent him 3 arrowroot biscuits as a snack! But yesterday was just perfect and it definitely called for a tasty snack. Making this snack is just a piece of cake and a total crowd pleaser. I hope you'll enjoy it too. I'm sorry I couldn't get  a good picture of this, I'm not too much of a creative person. But will try to do better next time! This recipe is from a cookery show I watched recently.

This bajji is almost like an instant dish and it tastes awesome!

Here is the recipe.

Ingredients

Bajji Mulaku (Long green chillies) – 10
Lime - juice of 1 lime
Gram flour (Kadalamaavu) - 1 cup
Red chilly powder - a pinch
Turmeric powder - a pinch
Baking Soda - a pinch
Asofetida Powder (Hing/Kaayam podi) - a pinch
Salt - as required
Oil - for deep frying

Method

Clean the chillies, take out the seeds and cut them into halves/quarters. Immerse them in a mixture of lime juice, little water and salt. Marinate it for 10 to 15 minutes.

Mix together gram flour, red chilli powder, turmeric powder, baking soda, asofetida powder, salt and enough water to make a batter that has the consistency of a Idli batter.

Heat oil in a wok. Take the chillies out from the marinade and dip them in the besan batter and deep fry.

Serve with tomato sauce.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...